Thursday, November 15, 2007

Podcasts!


Hi girls!!

Well, this is activity six and I learned another new thing...Podcasts! Sorry for my ignorance but I've never heard about it before! I mean, I have an mp3 player but I never downloaded podcasts.



I chose
http://http://www.podcastsinenglish.com/ , which is a website that offers you a lot of listening activities, according to your skill level. I found this website interesting because there isn't just the listening activity to do; you can answer questions, read the text and do vocabulary tasks related to the listening. I did the activity number 23; Asha talked about Ramadan, the most important month in the Muslim year. This listening wasn't so difficult to understand but it was a little boring because I couldn't see the face of the girl who was speaking. I think that it's easier to understand a foreign language looking to the mouth of the speaker...I know that it can be a very strange idea but it's just my personal thought!



http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/
In this website you can listen to the BBC news; I like it very much because there are many programmes and you can choose your favourite ones, according to your interests. For example, I listen to sport bulletin and I found it difficult to understand; the speaker spoke very fast! Usually, I prefer listening to the news watching the video; I think that I don't got lost if I watch the video...Don't you think so??!



http://http://librivox.org/
Finally, I subscribed to "Librivox Audiobooks"; here you can listen to many audiobooks and it's very funny! I've started listening to "The Adventure of the Six Napoleons", it seems interesting...Why don't you try to read it?!!



Ok, I think that these three websites can be very useful to practise English; furthermore, they are very different so that I can't bore myself! To be sincere, I'm happy because every week I'm discovering something new about the meanders of the Internet...That's good!

See you next week!!!

Elena

4 comments:

elenacarlet said...

Hy my peers!!
I noticed that I copied the url of the websites in the wrong way!!However, you can visit the websites by copy and paste the url without the double "http".
I'm terribly sorry!!
Elena

Valeria said...

Hi Elena!
Thank you for your note, in fact clicking on the links websites didn't appear. However, I visited the website you suggested us, Librivox. I found it interesting because one can listen to the books he/she wants to know about and focus to a different level of English, that is the formal register. When I visited this website, I thought that it can be helpful not only for students like us but also for people who is blind or for people who cannot read, because there books have a real voice!
Bye!

monica said...

Hi Ele,
I listened to some of the podcasts I found on the first website you suggested us. In paticular I listed to the one about the diver who swimmed with sharks and seals and explored many places of the world, always under the water.
Then I listened to the podcast about the seven wonders of the modern days. I must admit that I never heard about some places the interlocutors had mentioned so that I really enjoy listening to their conversation.
With regard to the video watching, I can say that I don't have the same difficulty as you so that I need to watch the video to better understand the conversation. Anyway, I often prefer to watch the video because sometimes the listening may be boring especially when the conversation last for a long time.

Elisa said...

Hi baby, well job Ele, I like the podcast websites you came up with, I dwelled on the first one, but I must say that I had some problems with it because I couldn’t download or listen to any of them…so as I don’t know if the problem was me or the website, I preferred to avoid the hard situation and opted for the third one (I skipped the second one because I suggested the same website). I think its quite interesting the purpose of these podcasts. well-know books, which are on the best-seller lists,are provided and at the same time that represents a literary homage to brilliant writers such as Dickens, Austin, Dickenson... People has forgotten that it would be good read this masterpieces in original language but they normally require serious effort from who can't speak English as mother-tongue language...
bye