Saturday, November 3, 2007

Halloween!


Hi my friends!!
Well, I noticed that our group has to be against Halloween and fortunately, I'm against it!! maybe not at all...but I think that this celebration shouldn't be celebrated here in Italy. I heard on television that on October 31, the bishops and priests of the Turin archdiocese launched a crusade against Halloween. The clergy accused American pop culture – especially movies and songs – of popularizing US-like night parties and ousting the traditional way of celebrating All Saints' Day. Instead, the Catholic Church called on its faithful to attend “the night of saints and mysteries,” which will culminate with a midnight mass.
To be sincere, I agree with the Church for the fact that Halloween doesn't belong to our culture; it's just a consumeristic celebration we imported from US. Thirty years ago, here in Italy people didn't know what Halloween was...this celebration was introduced in the Ninenties I think....I remember that, when I was at the Elementary school and we started to study English, our teacher explained us what Halloween was. We were very excited to discover that new celebration but above all, we looked forward to going to the houses asking for "Sweets or tricks??". Certainly, we didn't think to All Saints' Day as "the night of saints and mysteries", in which we should stay at home or at least, we shouldn't have a party...
Therefore, for one hand, celebrating Halloween, we risk to loose the religious meaning of this night, which is part of our italian culture of course! For the other hand, nowdays we are living in a multicultural world and I think that it's good to share something which is different from our culture....but always trying not to forget our origins!!
Do you agree my friends???!!
See you tomorrow!!
bye bye!!

No comments: